New or Replacement Water Main & Water Service Procedures

If you are planning on updating or replacing water services, please be ready to provide the following information:

  • The service address, type, size and classification (residential, commercial, industrial).
  • The expected project time line.
  • A copy of the certified survey or plot plan of the property where the service will be required.
  • A map with dimensions, including building foot plan, desired service location, nearest road and nearest WW&LC water facilities.

Before any work begins, the proper city and state permits need to be obtained. All permits and paperwork must be completed and filed with the City Inspector at City Hall.

If you are having trouble with water pressure and water flow please contact the Service Department at (715) 423-6310.

Easements and Right-of-Way

When easements are required, they must be obtained before construction will be scheduled. The customer requesting service shall obtain permission from those landowners as required. WW&LC will provide the easement document. Any costs involved with obtaining the easement will be the responsibility of the customer requesting the water main extension.

Water Meter Installation

Before you begin doing any plumbing work, make sure that all applications and permits are on file with the City Plumbing Inspector (715) 421-8227. Please notify the WW&LC office with the expected water meter size prior to the installation, because some specialty meters will have to be ordered and may take up to 4 weeks to receive. Upon completion of the plumbing installation, the plumber shall notify the City Plumbing Inspector and schedule an inspection. Once an inspection has been conducted and everything is in compliance with state and local codes, the inspector will notify WW&LC and the water meter will be installed. Notification will consist of a written approval from the City of Wisconsin Rapids Inspection Department.